March 24, 2020
Equinix Extends Digital Edge with Its Fourth Data Center in Singapore
US$74M investment supports the country’s digital transformation and Smart Nation vision
SINGAPORE – March 25, 2020 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the opening of the company’s fourth International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Singapore, known as SG4. With an initial investment of US$74 million, the new facility not only supports the rising demand for digital transformation and interconnection of businesses, it also plays a key role in supporting Singapore’s Smart Nation development as the country anchors itself as a global business and connectivity hub.
Singapore has emerged as the third most robust data center market globally, spurred by the rapid pace of digitization and surge in demand for cloud-based services.1 According to the Global Interconnection Index (GXI) Vol.3, published by Equinix, Singapore’s interconnection bandwidth – a measurement of direct and private data exchange between businesses – is expected to double by 2022, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 47%.
Emphasis on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and automation coupled with the progressive rollout of 5G networks require businesses to extend their network infrastructure to the edge and be in close proximity to their customers and partners for secure data exchange and seamless digital experiences. The SG4 IBX supports businesses’ digital edge strategy by providing high-performance network reliability, redundancy options and low-latency interconnection to gain a competitive advantage in the digital economy. Among the early customers of SG4, Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) leverages Platform Equinix® to expand TCS Enterprise Cloud Platform into the Asia-Pacific region.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- Strategically located in Tai Seng – one of Singapore’s five data center clusters – SG4 will further extend Platform Equinix to meet strong demand for premium interconnection and data center services in Singapore and the region. The first phase of SG4 IBX has more than 45,400 square feet (4,220 square meters) of colocation space, offering an initial capacity of 1,400 cabinets. The facility will accommodate more than 4,000 cabinets at full build out, with a total colocation space of more than 132,180 square feet (approximately 12,280 square meters).
- Directly connected to the three existing Equinix IBX data centers in Singapore via low-latency dark fiber links, the new SG4 IBX will enable customers to securely interconnect with more than 695 companies from different industries, including financial services, cloud services, biomedical sciences, IT, communications, media, physical sciences and engineering. This also includes a broad range of network services from more than 210 global networks and more than 190 cloud and IT service providers.
- The SG4 IBX also provides a wide range of interconnection solutions, including Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™), an on-demand, SDN-enabled interconnection service that allows any business to connect between its own distributed infrastructure and any other company’s distributed infrastructure, including the world’s largest network service and cloud providers on Platform Equinix. ECX Fabric provides access to the largest collection of on-ramps to cloud service providers in Singapore including Alibaba, AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Oracle, as well as many local providers.
- Businesses in Singapore can also leverage Network Edge to deploy virtual network services without upfront capital expenses for additional equipment and infrastructure. Network Edge offers customers the choice of virtual network services from multiple vendors, including the Cisco® Cloud Services Router 1000v, the Juniper® vSRX Virtual Firewall, Palo Alto Networks® VM-Series Firewall and the Cisco SD-WAN, with additional edge devices being added soon onto Platform Equinix.
- As part of a strategic partnership between Tata Consultancy Service and Equinix, the fully operational SG4 IBX will see TCS make its largest deployment in Asia-Pacific for TCS Enterprise cloud. By tapping on the interconnection-oriented architecture of Platform Equinix – including Cross Connect, Metro Connect, ECX Fabric and Equinix Connect, TCS will be able to provide private and hybrid cloud services to their customers in the region and globally.
- Currently, the global footprint of Platform Equinix spans more than 200 IBX data centers across 55 markets and 25 countries, providing data center and interconnection services for more than 9,700 of the world's leading businesses. In Asia-Pacific, Equinix has 46 IBX data centers across key countries including Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan and Singapore.
- Satishchandra Doreswamy , VP & Global Head, Cloud Infrastructure Unit, TCS
“TCS has been helping customers accelerate their digital transformation journeys using our Enterprise Cloud Platform as a flexible, hybrid cloud infrastructure layer that will support their future growth. We have been able to offer ECP to customers across the world, including in Asia Pacific, leveraging our strategic partnership with Equinix. We believe that the new SG4 will further strengthen our ability to provide a future-proof cloud to customers in Singapore and across the region.”
- Jeremy Deutsch, President, Equinix Asia-Pacific
“Asia-Pacific is paving the way for smart cities as the pace of digital transformation continues to accelerate. At Equinix, we are dedicated to supporting this development by connecting people and businesses at the digital edge through our interconnection solutions. Equinix achieved notable momentum in Asia-Pacific in 2019, and we are confident that our growing footprint will enable businesses and customers to connect with the wider region and have access to the vast interconnection opportunities needed to innovate and grow.”
- Yee May Leong, Managing Director, Equinix South Asia
“The demand for interconnection is on the uptick as businesses around the world continue to digitally transform. As Singapore forges ahead to advance its vision of becoming a leading digital economy and smart nation, we are confident that Equinix will provide the requisite support required for enterprises and the nation to continually embrace digital transformation and reinvent itself to remain globally competitive.”
- A Virtual Tour of Equinix’s Fourth Data Center in Singapore – SG4 [blog]
- Global Interconnection Index Vol. 3 [report]
- Equinix SG4 IBX Technical Specifications [website]
- Equinix Singapore Data Centers [website]
- Equinix Data Centers in Asia-Pacific [website]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. Equinix.sg
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix products and solutions; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenues from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; a failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; risks related to our taxation as a REIT; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Media Contact (Asia-Pacific)
Media Contact (Singapore)
+65 6571 9156