September 26, 2018
Equinix to Complete the Expansion of its Largest Data Center in Asia-Pacific
Meeting booming demand for premium interconnection and data center services in Singapore and the region
SINGAPORE – September 27, 2018 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the final expansion phase at the company’s third International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Singapore, known as SG3. Upon completion, this expansion will almost double the size of the facility to meet strong demand for interconnection and data center services in Singapore and the wider region.
Singapore is one of the most robust data center markets in Asia-Pacific1 due to its strong network infrastructure, diverse connectivity to major markets in the region, conducive and business-friendly environment, as well as political stability. According to Synergy Research, the country’s data center market is expected to remain strong with a forecasted compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3% from 2017 to 20222.
This positive potential for growth is further indicated in the Global Interconnection Index, published by Equinix, which reveals that Asia-Pacific’s Interconnection Bandwidth is forecasted to grow to 2,200+ Terabits per second (Tbps) of capacity, representing a significant CAGR of 51% by 2021. Singapore continues to remain as one of the top metros in the region, with Interconnection Bandwidth capacity expected to more than quadruple by 2021.
Equinix’s expansion of data center capacity in Singapore reflects not only the company’s success in addressing the increasing market demand for interconnection services in the region, but also its commitment to helping businesses to thrive by embracing digital transformation in the digital economy.
Recently, Frost & Sullivan’s 2018 Asia-Pacific ICT Awards recognized Equinix as the Data Center Services Provider Of the Year for delivering service excellence in the industry.
- With a total investment of US$78 million (approximately SG$106 million), the final phase of SG3, the largest Equinix data center in the Asia-Pacific region, will add 2,875 cabinets of capacity in colocation space of more than 8,100 square meters (approximately 87,300 square feet), bringing total cabinet capacity to 5,875 and colocation space of more than 16,600 square meters (approximately 178,600 square feet) – almost doubling the IBX capacity.
- Home to the Asia-Pacific Network Operation Center with Internet Exchange points access to one of the world's three Global Roaming Exchange (GRX) peering points, SG3, with its predecessors SG1 & SG2, provides customers with a broad range of network services from over 195 providers.
- Equinix Singapore colocation facilities are also business hubs for more than 575 companies across different industries, ranging from financial services, cloud services, biomedical sciences, IT, communications, media, physical sciences and engineering industries.
- SG3 is a seven-story, purpose-built facility that is constructed in a flood- and earthquake-free zone. SG3 is also ultra-secure, compliant with Monetary Authority of Singapore guidelines for data privacy, and a center of cloud and network connectivity. It is the flagship facility in a three-building interconnection hub in Singapore.
- Similar to SG1 and SG2, SG3 has been designed to operate under the highest standards for energy efficiency. Solar energy powers non-essential operations at SG3, while the hot air/cold air aisle design inside boosts cooling efficiency to keep IT running cool. SG3 is accredited with the BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award.
- With the recent rollout of Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™) inter-metro connectivity across the Asia-Pacific region, Singapore customers can establish hybrid cloud easily with direct access to cloud service providers, such as Alibaba Cloud, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, IBM Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Tencent Cloud, etc.
- Equinix has 40 IBX data centers in Asia-Pacific. Today the company's global footprint spans 200 IBX data centers across 52 markets, providing data center and interconnection services for more than 9,800 of the world’s leading businesses.
- Andrew Rigoli, Vice President, Corporate Development & Strategy, Equinix Asia-Pacific
“We are pleased to announce the expansion of SG3 IBX data center to further cement Singapore’s role as the interconnection hub in the Asia-Pacific region. This expansion is indicative of the growing demand for interconnection as the digital economy continues to thrive in this region. Along with the roll out of Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric inter-metro connectivity capabilities in the region that aims to accelerate cloud connectivity, Equinix is in a solid position to provide the interconnection and colocation services that are essential for enterprises to move towards the digital edge.”
- Equinix Singapore Data Centers [website]
- Equinix Data Centers in Asia-Pacific [website]
- Equinix SG3 video tour [video]
- ECX Fabric Datasheet [website]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. In 52 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. Equinix.sg
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
1 Cushman & Wakefield’s Data Center Risk Index, October 2017
2 Synergy Research Forecast, April 2018
Media Contact (Asia-Pacific)
Media Contact (Singapore)
+65 6571 9156