July 10, 2017
Equinix Further Expands SG2 IBX Data Center in Singapore
Expanded high-power density and efficient facility to accelerate cloud ecosystem and interconnection
SINGAPORE, July 10, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the eighth phase expansion of its SG2 International Business Exchange™ (IBX) data center in Singapore. With a total capital investment of US$41.8M, this expansion will add 1,400 cabinets and 47,666 square feet of colocation space, bringing the total operational capacity of the data center to 6,300 cabinets.
Recently accredited with the prestigious BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award for Data Centers in Singapore, the SG2 facility is a high-power density and efficient data center specially designed for companies from the Cloud, content and IT industry requiring large deployments with metered power.
In a mature cloud landscape such as Asia-Pacific, demand for managed cloud and professional services is expected to increase as more businesses and enterprises migrate to the cloud. The expanded capacity of SG2 will address rising market demands for direct connect to leading cloud service providers – including Amazon Web Services, Oracle Cloud, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform – through Equinix Cloud Exchange™ (ECX). This enables businesses to do more in the cloud by providing secure, direct, and flexible network connections to a wide range of cloud service provides, whilst advancing the region's cloud market and the overall digital economy.
- Located strategically at dense data clusters in Singapore near the SEA-ME-WE3 and SEA-ME-WE4 cable landing stations, the SG2 facility is a high-power density site that targets customers from the cloud, content and IT industry.
- SG2 offers rich interconnection opportunities that support one of the largest cloud pods in Asia and many cloud service providers, as well as provides thriving and highly secure content, digital media, and enterprise ecosystems.
- Recognized for its commitment to driving operational efficiency, the SG2 facility was recently awarded the BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award for Data Centers, the highest green accolade jointly developed by Building and Construction Authority (BCA) and the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) of Singapore. The data center is assessed by a performance based green building rating system, which covers performance efficiencies in areas such as energy, water and environment, with a significantly higher emphasis placed on energy performance of the site.
- This recognition marks a new milestone for Equinix to have all its data centers certified in Singapore – the SG1 facility is BCA-IMDA Green Mark certified, while the SG3 facility also received the same reputable BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award.
- Home to the Asia-Pacific Network Operation Center with Internet exchange points access to one of the world's three Global Roaming Exchange (GRX) peering points, SG2, together with SG1 and SG3, continue to serve customers with a broad range of network services from over 190 providers. Equinix's colocation facilities in Singapore are also business hubs for over 535 companies around the world.
- The SG2 expansion is the latest in a series of expansions across Asia Pacific, with other recent expansions in Melbourne, Tokyo and Hong Kong.
- In total, Equinix has 29 IBX data centers in Asia-Pacific. Today Equinix's total global footprint covers 179 IBX data centers across 44 markets.
- Clement Goh, managing director, Equinix South Asia
"The expansion of SG2 reinforces Singapore's position as Asia-Pacific's network hub, a gateway market for businesses looking to expand or make their first move into Southeast Asia. By increasing the operational capacity of the data center, customers will have a greater choice for interconnection to thrive at the digital edge in well-established business ecosystems. Furthermore, Equinix has all its Singapore data centers Green Mark certified. It is truly an honor for us and a boost to customers' confidence as they enter new markets. We will continue to seek ways to measure ourselves using industry best practices and be a leader in sustainable design, efficiency, and innovation."
- Yu Xuan Ng, industry analyst, digital transformation, Frost & Sullivan
"Equinix has achieved significant revenue growth in 2016 and continues to lead the Asia-Pacific retail colocation market. This can be attributed to its robust product and go-to-market strategies. Equinix has focused on investments in Platform Equinix, a colocation and interconnection platform that extends its data centers globally. This serves as a key differentiator enabling its customers to interconnect with one other within a rich business ecosystem. The expansion of SG2 in Singapore is truly a testament to Equinix's strong commitments to growth in the Asia-Pacific region and a result of a strong ecosystem strategy."
- Equinix Singapore Data Centers [website]
- Equinix SG2 video tour [video]
- Equinix Cloud Exchange[website]
- BCA-IMDA Green Mark for Data Center Scheme [website]
- Equinix and Oracle Collaborate to Offer Direct Access to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure[website]
- Asia Taking the Lead in Cloud Computing[blog]
- Digital IT is transforming. Interconnection is Needed [blog]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 44 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts (APAC), Annie Ho, Equinix, (852) 2970 7761, firstname.lastname@example.org, Camy Cheng, LEWIS, (65) 9088 4127, EquinixSG@teamlewis.com