November 24, 2014
Equinix’s Cloud Ecosystem Gains Momentum in Hong Kong
Customers include Netswitch, Nexusguard and OneAsia
HONG KONG—November 24, 2014—Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the continued growth of its cloud ecosystem in Asia-Pacific, with the number of cloud customers growing over 25 percent year-over-year. In Hong Kong specifically, cloud customers have increased 15 percent as local and international cloud service providers (CSPs) are choosing to deploy with Equinix Hong Kong as an entry point into Asia-Pacific.
International and local cloud service providers need reliable and secure IT infrastructure to support their cloud services offerings. Increasingly, these companies are looking for an advanced interconnection solution that enables seamless, on-demand and direct access to multiple clouds and multiple networks around the globe.
Netswitch, Nexusguard and OneAsia are among the noteworthy Hong Kong customers that have joined Equinix’s cloud ecosystem while simultaneously leveraging the Equinix Cloud Exchange, a multi-cloud and multi-network solution. By connecting to Equinix’s Cloud Exchange, CSPs can rapidly advance their cloud computing agendas, scale their businesses globally and speed-up their time to market.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Hong Kong is the city of choice for cloud service providers breaking into the Asia-Pacific market. With 3,835 regional headquarters or offices based in the city and thousands of Hong Kong businesses located throughout the Greater Pearl River Delta (GPRD) region , Chinese and international CSPs are tapping into Hong Kong’s robust enterprise market for business expansion. In terms of cloud growth rates globally, Hong Kong also ranks the highest with 77 percent growth in the IaaS market from 2012 to 2013 ahead of North America at 60 percent and EMEA at 69 percent.
- Netswitch, a global technology solutions provider that specializes in informational security, turned to Equinix’s global footprint to expand its presence in the United States and Asia-Pacific, beginning with its first deployment in Hong Kong. By deploying in Equinix’s Hong Kong data center with 99.999 percent uptime, direct cross connects, peering, and Ethernet services, Netswitch is able to expand rapidly around the globe and deliver maximum security without fear of downtime or latency. Netswitch now has secure access cloud resources at much higher throughput while increasing the privacy, performance and reliability of cloud service connections.
- Nexusguard, an Internet security solutions provider, deployed with Equinix in Hong Kong and the United States. As a leader in fighting malicious internet attacks and protecting its customers from security threats, Nexusguard will further reinforce its position in the market by increasing its points of presence (PoPs) to create the world's most reliable mega-cloud by 2016.
- OneAsia, a cloud and disaster recovery solutions and services provider, deployed in Equinix Hong Kong to provide scalable and secure cloud solutions to its customers throughout Asia. Through Platform Equinix™, OneAsia can connect to 4,500 business partners and accelerate its business growth in the area of network connectivity as well as cloud solutions such as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS), and Virtual Desktop Virtualization (VDI).
- Steve King, chief operating officer, VP Sales and Marketing, Netswitch, Inc:
“Considering our rapid expansion across the US and Asia, as well as our need to provide the highest levels of security and operational reliability to our customers, we needed a data center partner with a global footprint that provided stability and met our network requirements. By deploying in Equinix’s IBX data center in Hong Kong, we’ve met these needs, with 99.999 percent uptime, reduced latency and access to a robust ecosystem of networks. This has enabled us to maintain our leadership position in the information security space, as we can guarantee that our customers’ mission-critical data is protected across continents.”
- Chichi Chen, chief strategy officer, Nexusguard:
“By joining Equinix, we are able to extend the secure path for our customers by eliminating security concerns associated with cloud computing across the public internet. Furthermore, Equinix’s interconnection platform will allow us to tap into additional client and partner opportunities while its global footprint will enable us to increase our points of presence. In turn, we are on track to create the world’s most reliable mega-cloud by 2016.”
- Charles Lee, founder & CEO, OneAsia:
“With Equinix’s strong foothold not only in Asia but also in the United States and Europe, it is an ideal partner for expanding business together. Fusing our high performance, scalable network connectivity with Equinix’s established cloud ecosystem and high network density means we can further strengthen our state-of-the-art cloud platform and applications while providing optimal levels of security, uptime and scalability to our customers.”
- Alex Tam, managing director, Equinix Hong Kong:
“With the rise of cloud service providers deploying in Hong Kong, as well as the increasing demand for hybrid cloud computing, machine-to-machine (M2M) technologies and big data, enterprises will need next-generation data centers with highly networked interconnection capabilities to succeed in this new landscape. The Equinix Cloud Exchange is built to do just that: provide enterprises with the ability to connect to multiple clouds, multiple users and multiple networks to fully reap the business benefits of cloud computing.”
- Equinix Cloud Exchange brings New Level of Interconnection and Potential to the Cloud [blog]
- Equinix to Make Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute Available through Data Centers in 16 Markets Globally [press release]
About Equinix Cloud Exchange
The Equinix Cloud Exchange is an advanced interconnection solution that enables seamless, on-demand and direct access to multiple clouds, across multiple networks around the globe. By combining the automated interconnection of cloud, network and managed service providers with advanced service orchestration for the first time, the Equinix Cloud Exchange provides enterprises with simple, scalable, direct access to the multiple cloud services they need to build highly flexible hybrid cloud solutions. This removes the security, performance and vendor lock-in concerns holding many organizations back from fully adopting and reaping the benefits of cloud services. For more information on the Equinix Cloud Exchange, please visit/services/interconnection-connectivity/cloud-exchange/.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. /.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.