December 9, 2014
Equinix Sees Uptick in Globally Deployed Financial Services Customers Spanning Multiple Asset Classes
BME, FXCM, SmartTrade Technologies, Triana and Chi-X, add asset and service diversity to financial services ecosystem, cite ease of multi-region deployment for choosing Equinix data centers
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Dec. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that multiple new customers have joined its financial services ecosystem, bolstering an already diverse customer base inside Platform Equinix™ that spans multiple geographies, asset classes and financial markets. Ranging from startups to established options, futures and currency exchange firms, each has chosen to colocate with Equinix due to its turnkey access to multiple financial markets and ability to support the IT workloads, interconnectivity demands and regulatory requirements unique to financial services.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Across the globe, Equinix's diverse financial services ecosystem helps its multi-asset customer base efficiently enter key markets with operational ease. Its global footprint of more than 100 international data centers provides the advanced infrastructure needed to ensure regulatory compliance across regions and asset classes. In addition, Platform Equinix provides companies with access to complex event processing engines, helping them discover market opportunities and make smarter trading decisions.
- The breadth of business opportunities and operational advantages Equinix offers has successfully attracted a variety of global financial firms:
- BME, Bolsas y Mercados Espanoles (BME) is the operator of all stock Markets and financial systems in Spain. BME has been a listed company since 14 July 2006 and an IBEX 35® constituent since July 2007. In the last few years it has become a reference in the sector in terms of solvency, efficiency and profitability. BME has recently opened a new point of Presence (PoP) in Equinix London IBX LD4 to allow investments firms access to the Spanish operator.
- FXCM Inc., a leading online provider of foreign exchange (FX), trading and related services worldwide, has been a customer of Equinix in North America, Europe and Asia since 2011. FXCM became a licensed provider for FastMatch, a matching system for foreign exchange trading in 2012 who also leverages Equinix data centers in New York (NY4), London (LD4) and in 2013 added an additional matching engine in Tokyo (TY3), to reduce latency for the Asia-pacific client base.
- SmartTrade Technologies, a leading global liquidity management solution company, has deployed its liquidity management system and LiquidityFX™ platforms in three Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in New York, London and Tokyo for 24/7 availability and access to liquidity providers and carriers. Liquidity Management System (LMS) is a platform currently used by tier 1 banks and institutions, and both LiquidityFX and LMS connect brokers, hedge funds and other financial institutions with more than 35 tier 1 and tier 2 banks and electronic communications networks (ECNs) within SmartTrade's private cloud.
- Triana offers a range of post-trade and risk-management services used across asset classes – equities, equity derivatives, fixed-income futures, exchange-traded derivatives and others – and trade contexts, from OTC to global exchanges. It has been a customer of Equinix for one year and has a point of presence (POP) in New York (NY4) where many of its customers are also colocated. Based on its experience in NY4 thus far, Traiana is considering POPs in Europe, Asia and South America as demand increases for its services, particularly as it is currently operates the only limit hub in the OTC derivatives market addressing Dodd-Frank legislation on trade certainty.
- Chi-X Australia, a wholly-owned subsidiary of market operator Chi-X Global LLC, delivers a low latency, high performance, stable and resilient trading system that supports the Australian equities market. Chi-X recently renewed its agreement with Equinix as its primary data center which offers participants superior proximity hosting and network connectivity.
- In addition, Equinix provides colocation for several platforms such as BIDS, Liquidnet and IEX that facilitate Institutional or block-order flow. There is a mutual benefit to the platforms and their participants by having a financial services ecosystem in a neutral colocation facility such as Equinix.
- Equinix data centers provide colocation for over 800 financial services customers who include over 175 exchange and trading venue deployments around the globe. Today, 20 percent of Equinix's revenues come from the financial vertical.
- John Burchenal, global head of strategic business development, Traiana:
"Equinix is an interesting company for us; it thinks more about the business of being a global data center provider than most companies of its type. It's not just about hosting, even though Equinix does this better than anyone – it thinks about its customers and what they need to survive and grow. Its services and ecosystem are a unique selling point for us, particularly as we look to increase our presence globally in anticipation of other global exchanges and jurisdictions requiring the same pre- and post-trade services we've developed for U.S. markets."
- Mike Aikins, chief operations and technology officer, Chi-X Australia:
"Since the launch of Chi-X Australia, Equinix has provided a secure, high performance and resilient data center facility for our market operations. Over the past four years, Chi-X has become a major trading venue in Australia's equity markets -- in July 2014 Chi-X captured over 29 percent market share by total market value traded. As we look to continue to grow our products and services in Australia, we are very pleased to have Equinix as our strategic data center partner."
- Stewart Orrell, senior director, global enterprise, Equinix:
"As firms seek turnkey methods of increasing global growth, the data center becomes an increasingly important asset to buy-side, sell-side and analytics firms in the financial industry. We expect that our financial services customers will see additional gains from tapping providers in our cloud, mobile and network ecosystems."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. http://www.equinix.com/.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such
differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.