September 23, 2013
NHN Entertainment Singapore Expands into Southeast Asia with Equinix
Local Equinix data center access node improves end-user experience for mobile gaming customers
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and SINGAPORE – September 23, 2013 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that NHN Entertainment Singapore, a leading mobile gaming platform, has deployed in Equinix's Singapore International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center. The deployment will enable NHN Entertainment Singapore to expand the availability of its gaming services in Southeast Asia and deliver optimized performance to its users.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Headquartered in South Korea, NHN Entertainment Singapore provides a platform for mobile game developers to build and distribute games, through which it also regularly launches games for its end users. To expand the availability of its gaming services in Southeast Asia, NHN Entertainment Singapore required a data center provider that offers a strong point-of-presence in Singapore.
- Research from Ovum shows that the Asia-Pacific digital games market will more than double over the next four years to be worth $30.3 billion in 2016. Ovum also estimates that Asia-Pacific will have more than one billion gamers by 2016, of which nearly 900 million will play games on a mobile device.
- To cater to the increasing demand for mobile games, NHN Entertainment Singapore is leveraging Equinix's Singapore data center to access the broadest choice of network providers in the region, with over 950 carriers globally. Through the Equinix Internet Exchange (EIE), NHN Entertainment Singapore has been able to select and interconnect directly with a wide range of network providers that can help decrease latency to significantly improve the performance for its Southeast Asia users, while reducing costs.
- NHN Entertainment Singapore is part of a rapidly growing ecosystem of over 500 content and digital media companies located in Equinix's IBX data centers globally. In Asia-Pacific, Equinix's content ecosystem has experienced strong growth, with a 20 percent year-on-year increase in customers.
- Equinix's global footprint of over 95 data centers in 31 markets also gives NHN Entertainment Singapore the flexibility and agility to increase its speed to market, scale in existing regions and ability to enter new markets at a rapid pace to address the growth in mobile gaming.
- Equinix Singapore is currently NHN Entertainment Singapore's first data center deployment outside of South Korea.
- Eric Lee, chief executive officer, NHN Entertainment Singapore:
"The deployment in Equinix's data center in Singapore is an important move for us. Not only has it helped us to provide a superior-quality gaming experience to our users, but we have also gained access to hundreds of potential partners and networks in Equinix's ecosystems to grow our revenue. We are confident that Equinix is the right data center provider to support our future expansion plans with their unparalleled global footprint."
- Tejaswini Tilak, director, network and content, Equinix Asia-Pacific:
"Considering the projected expansion of the Asia-Pacific digital games market, it is crucial that mobile gaming companies have a scalable and secure infrastructure to reinforce and capitalize on growth opportunities. We are pleased to have NHN Entertainment Singapore join the growing ecosystem of gaming companies within Equinix. The deployment will provide NHN Entertainment Singapore with the highest network density, global reach and access to an ecosystem of social network sites and platforms, ultimately driving gaming performance, increasing end-user loyalty and improving revenue."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.