July 16, 2014
CloudFlare Selects Equinix for Global Expansion of Content Delivery Network
Website owners, users enjoy greater security and improved performance as a result of CloudFlare’s global data center deployment
REDWOOD CITY and SUNNYVALE, Calif. — July 16, 2014 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that CloudFlare, the leading Web performance and security company, has significantly expanded its points of presence (POPs) in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific through multiple Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers: Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C. The expansion, which more than doubles CloudFlare’s footprint within Equinix’s data centers and leverages the density of its interconnections to cloud partners and customers, is part of CloudFlare’s strategy to bolster its global presence, enhance security and optimize the performance of its cloud-based content delivery network.
Highlights / Key Facts
- In 2010, CloudFlare first deployed its network in Equinix’s Chicago, Silicon Valley and Washington, D.C. data centers. Since that initial deployment, CloudFlare has established POPs in over 15 markets across North America, Asia and Europe.
- By more than doubling its footprint across Platform Equinix™, CloudFlare aims to keep pace with its growing customer base and the rise in Web traffic passing through its network, which has seen a more than 400 percent increase in the last year alone.
- Mitigating distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks on CloudFlare’s servers is another driving force behind CloudFlare’s expansion. Leveraging Equinix’s global footprint, CloudFlare can more effectively absorb and disperse massive volumes of Web traffic associated with DDoS attacks to better ensure uptime.
- With the need to process more than 300 billion page views every month for more than 1.5 million customers worldwide, CloudFlare depends upon Equinix’s globally dispersed network of more than 100 data centers, and the ability to establish closer proximity to its customers, to provide superior performance and quality of service, and to reduce latency. Upon CloudFlare’s initial deployment with Equinix, 20 percent of the world’s population was geographically located 10 milliseconds away from the nearest CloudFlare data center. Today, after its global expansion, that figure has vaulted to 95 percent of the world’s population residing not more than 10 milliseconds away from a CloudFlare point of presence.
- Equinix is home to the world’s leading companies and cloud service providers. Today, over 450 cloud service providers and thousands of prospective cloud customers make Equinix their home for cloud services—more than any other data center platform.
- Joshua Motta, director of special projects, CloudFlare:
"Equinix has been a key partner to us every step of the way. No other company would have been able to help us scale as quickly as Equinix did on a global level. Becoming a part of the greater content delivery network ecosystem through Equinix, and taking advantage of its platform and connectivity options, enables us to better serve our existing customers and grow our business within new geographies and industries.”
- Jim Poole, vice president, global service providers, Equinix:
"Equinix was founded because we anticipated the business need to support the explosive growth of Internet traffic. Our vision was to serve this market with our globally dispersed, network-rich data centers to help companies like CloudFlare succeed in the digital economy. CloudFlare’s commitment to delivering an outstanding online experience worldwide is supported by our strengths in network connectivity, business continuity and global scalability, and we are proud to be a part of that success.”
CloudFlare, Inc. (www.cloudflare.com / @cloudflare) makes sites lightning fast, protects them from attacks, ensures they are always online, and makes it simple to add Web apps with a single click. Regardless of size or platform, CloudFlare supercharges websites with no need to add hardware, install software, or change a line of code. The CloudFlare community gets stronger as it grows: every new site makes the network smarter. More than 5% of global Web requests flow through CloudFlare’s network daily. And, thanks to our awesome sauce technology, every month billions of people experience a faster, safer, better Internet. CloudFlare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer, named the Most Innovative Network & Internet Technology Company for two years running by the Wall Street Journal, and ranked among the world's 50 most innovative companies by Fast Company. CloudFlare is based in San Francisco, California, USA.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. http://www.equinix.com/.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.